Let’s Step Up for NASH this June and raise awareness about nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and its more advanced form, nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), in your communities.
NAFLD is the leading cause of chronic liver disease globally, affecting 1 in 4 people. Of that, 1 in 5 will develop NASH, which can progress to advanced liver fibrosis, cirrhosis, or liver cancer. The diagnosis and treatment of liver disease has advanced significantly in recent decades, but many patients go undiagnosed, which results in poor long-term outcomes.We call upon all stakeholders in the field to Step Up for NASH! Not sure where to start? Here are some ways you can get started today:
- Academia/Healthcare Institutions & Healthcare Providers – Share your knowledge and expertise to increase screening initiatives by identifying at-risk patients.
- Nonprofit and NGOs – Raise the volume in your community and apply to become a partner and host your own event to #StepUpforNASH. Submit an application here.
- Patients & Caregivers – Stay informed: Educate yourself and others, advocate on behalf of patients, and support your loved ones. You can access educational material about NASH in 16 languages on our website.
- Regulatory Agencies – Understand what the approval process means from a patient’s point of view. The current ‘gold standard’ for diagnosing NAFLD or NASH is by liver biopsy, but it has several limitations. It is time to remove barriers to approval and not require biopsy as a mandatory step. Noninvasive tests are being used in clinical practice to assess for NAFLD/NASH.
- Industry Partners – Join the movement! Our partners’ support is essential for advancing our mission and providing the resources to support global screening and advocacy efforts. Become a sponsor today by submitting an application here.
Make sure to order your #NASHday merchandise today so you have it for June!
For additional questions, please reach out to NASHday@globalliver.org.
About Global Liver Institute
Global Liver Institute (GLI) is a patient-driven 501(c)3 nonprofit organization headquartered in Washington, DC, with offices in the EU and UK, founded in the belief that liver health must take its place on the global public health agenda commensurate with the prevalence and impact of liver disease and the importance of liver health to well-being. GLI promotes innovation, encourages collaboration, and supports the scaling of optimal approaches to improve research, care, and policy. By bringing together more than 200 community-based, national, and international organizations across its Councils, Campaigns, and events, GLI equips advocates to identify and solve the problems that matter to liver patients. Follow GLI on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
International NASH Day and its logo are registered trademarks of Global Liver Institute.